The AT&T Universal Savings and Rewards Card from Citibank is a credit card, Citi rewards card and an AT&T user discount card all rolled into one. Brought to you via the medium of mastercard, this is one of two similar offerings from Citibank and AT&T, the other being he AT&T Universal Savings Platinum Credit Card. This credit rewards card will only be worth committing to if you are currently an AT&T customer, or have plans to sign up to the major phone company in the near future.
Card holders are privy to specific AT&T offers, such as money-off AT&T bills, products and related purchases. You can put your AT&T bills on autopay and earn your discount the easy way.
So, what are the special benefits of the AT&T Universal Savings and Rewards Card?
There is a benefits reward scheme that is specifically built for AT&T customers that works out to a 10% discount on monthly AT&T charges for the first twelve months of ownership and then 5% for every month thereafter, which is based on combined purchases. Basically, for every dollar you spend on AT&T products and every dollar spent on all other purchases needs to match it. If both purchase balances match, you will get an initial 10% discount off of your monthly phone bill. Confused? Well, put simply, if you spend $100 on AT&T services, you need to spend at least $100 elsewhere. If you do, you will receive $10 off of your AT&T phone bill for that very same month.
Amazingly, card holders are still privy to Citibank’s “Thank You” Rewards Network with this card. That means that you can enjoy all of the same rewards perks as other Citi customers. Universal Savings and Rewards Card users can earn one point for every dollar spent on all purchases outside of AT&T, and can be redeemed against anything on the rewards network as a result.
As the “Thank You” Rewards Network reward point’s special deals and impressive range of products to redeem against makes Citibank worth signing-up to in the first place, combining forces with the AT&T rewards scheme suddenly makes this card even more formidable. Seeing as Universal Savings and Rewards Card users can earn a whopping 10,000 bonus in thank you points after making $500 in purchases within the first 3 months of committing to this card, the benefits seem to be getting good.
But are the standard bonus features of the Universal Savings and Rewards Card as good as the special benefits?
We are inclined to say yes. Take a look and see what you think…
- Card holders can earn up to 50,000 points per year
- 50,000 points equates to $500 to spend at the “Thank You” Rewards Network
- Rewards are redeemable from just 100 points
- Card holders are privy to exclusive savings on the latest Apple, Android, Blackberry, and Windows smart phones through AT&T products and services
- Savings are posted automatically on the monthly billing statement
- Enjoy free account alerts and online mobile banking tools
- Card holders are able to acquire free cards for other authorized users at no additional cost
- Enjoy $0 Liability on any unauthorized charges
- Card holders can have access to up to one year extended warranty on most items purchased with the AT&T Universal Savings and Rewards Card
- Buy now and save later when you register covered purchases at citi’s price rewind website and Citi Price Rewind service will search hundreds of retailers’ sites to help find the lowest price possible for a whopping 30 calendar days. If a lower price is found and it’s lower by $25, you will get the price difference back!
- Enjoy Citi purchase protection of up to $1,000 for up to 90 days
- Get automatic protection when you’re traveling in the U.S. and abroad with personalized travel & emergency assistance that include medical and legal referrals, lost luggage assistance, emergency transportation, translation services and more.
- Enjoy automatic travel accident insurance
- Card holders can now use virtual account numbers to ensure that you never have to give out your real credit card number online. It’s never been easier to generate substitute credit card numbers to make it almost impossible for thieves to steal your account details.
- Card holders can request an AT&T Universal credit card “PayPass” payment tag. It will allow you to tap and go wherever “PayPass” is available
- Get free calling benefits that come exclusively with the AT&T Universal card. Enjoy up to 30 free phone minutes that can be used for all calls.
Tell me the downsides…
As far as committing to the AT&T Universal Savings and Rewards Card goes, for a lot of card holders the matched spending requirement quickly becomes the major downside of this otherwise promising card. When you sit down and consciously calculate the potential rewards from your AT&T spending, you may realise that the method becomes much more hassle than you originally thought. For instance, when you switch certain purchases from your current rewards card to your AT&T Universal Savings and Rewards Card to equalize your spending statements, you may end up losing out on the rewards that the existing card already offers you. Sometimes, creating a confusing and difficult medium to your current account management systems can throw you completely off kilter and wreck your carefully placed payment routines.
Overall, is the Universal Savings and Rewards Card worth committing to?
Again, we are inclined to say yes, but only if you are an AT&T customer. If you’re not, look towards getting another credit rewards card from Citi instead as the “Thank You” Rewards Network could be right up your street. The Universal Savings and Rewards Card really does seem to be a good card for the right customer so once again the decision whether or not to commit to this card falls squarely with you, the user.